Pages

Monday, January 14, 2008

Capoeira

Man, am I sore today! I went to a very exhilarating, yet consequential class yesterday at my gym, The Sweatshop. The class that just recently came to my gym is Capoeira, an Afro-Brazilian Martial Arts class. It incorporates self-defense, music, break dancing and acrobatics! Obvious enough, it was intense.

However sore I am from head to toe, I can’t wait to go back! It may just be the hardest fitness class I’ve ever gone to. I went to a Kettlebell class about a month ago, and until now, that was the hardest class I’ve ever been to. The two classes really shouldn’t be compared though. They are two different sorts of ‘tough.’ Kettlebell uses what looks like a cannonball with a handle attached to it and one uses lots of swinging motions. It can greatly increase ones strength and takes a lot of endurance and balance.

Capoeira… well it incorporates a little of everything. Those who are the most dedicated wear white karate pants and often have a musical instrument to contribute to ‘game time,’ a sort of combat in actuality. Since the martial art comes from Brazil, the language behind songs and moves is in Portuguese. For the most part, Capoeira is a no-impact sport, but you use different moves such as kicking, ducking, cart-wheels, hand-stands, etc. to be offensive or defensive. If you are having a hard time visualizing this, you should just go see it for yourself!

Visit the Sweatshop on an open house day!

No comments: