Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day in Duluth, MN

I'm heading up to Duluth, MN this morning to see the beauty of fall and explore nature. Although I'm very excited to hike around, spend some time in the city, etc., the best part of the Duluth drive for me is always...the drive. So many pretty trees, winding roads and beautiful scenic shots along the way. It's always necessary to make multiple pit stops.

And, today is Blog Action Day. Couldn't have picked a better day, or a better way, to celebrate the environment and climate than spend a day in it.




As there are so many reasons to be thankful for a healthy environment and climate, it's hard to actually purposefully think about it. We interact with the environment and climate daily, and it's hard to feel a sense of purpose in terms of what one can actually do to keep them safe and healthy. We think of how the climate impacts us, not how we impact it.

Although I am not an expert on climate change, I do feel an obligation to be a responsible citizen, and I deeply care about others and the environment.

One thing that goes with climate change is trying to reduce one's carbon footprint. Although I will be driving to Duluth, I will definitely be paying attention to how much gas we (my boyfriend and I) will be emitting while by reducing how much we drive around and reducing idling time. With this we will also be paying attention to the kinds of activities we do. We most likely will be hiking on trails and spending a lot of time with nature, so we will be making sure to stay on the trails and trying not to interrupt natural ecosystems as much as possible.

I will also be paying attention to what and where we eat, what things we buy and what organizations we choose to support. All of these could adversely affect the climate in direct or indirect ways, and I think it's smart to know where your money is going and what you could be supporting.

There are lots of great ways to make a dent on climate change.

What do you do to reduce your carbon footprint or work toward climate change?

Check out Blog Action Day, or the EPA for more information on climate change.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: